A. R. Rahman
Real Name: A. S. Dileep Kumar
Full Name: Allah Rakha Rahman
Nickname(s): Isai Puyal, The Mozart of Madras
Profession(s): Music Director, Singer
Physical Stats & More
Height (approx.): 165 cm, 1.65 m, 5’ 5” Feet
Weight (approx.): 70 kg, 154 lbs
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Date of Birth: 6 January 1967
Birthplace: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Hometown: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
School: Padma Seshadri Bal Bhavan, Chennai
College: Madras Christian College, Chennai.
Trinity College of Music, Oxford University, United Kingdom
Degree in Western Classical Music
Debut: Music Director: Roja (1992, Tamil & Hindi)
Album: Vande Mataram (1997)
Father: R. K. Shekhar (Music Composer)
Mother: Kareema Beegum
Sisters: A. R. Reihana, Fathima Rafiq and Ishrath Qadri
Religion: Islam (converted from Hinduism)
Hobbies: Playing the Keyboard
Awards Honours: National Film Award
1992- Best Music Direction – Roja
1996- Best Music Direction – Minsara Kanavu
2001- Best Music Direction – Lagaan
2002- Best Music Direction – Kannathil Muthamittal
2017- Best Music Direction – Kaatru Veliyidai
2017- Best Music Direction – Mom
Academy Award (Oscar award) :
2009- Best Original Score and Best Original Song for “Jai Ho” – Slumdog Millionaire
BAFTA Award: 2009- Best Film Music – Slumdog Millionaire
Grammy Award: 2009- Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture and Best Song Written for a Motion Picture for “Jai Ho” – Slumdog Millionaire.
1995- Kalaimamani by the Government of Tamil Nadu
2000- Padma Shri by the Government of India
2001- Awadh Samman by the Government of Uttar Pradesh
2004- National Lata Mangeshkar Award by the Government of Madhya Pradesh
2010- Padma Bhushan by the Government of India
Controversies: A fatwa or fringe was issued against him for composing music of biopic on Prophet Muhammad, called “Muhammad: The Messenger of God.”
Food: Palak Paneer, Rasam-Rice
Musician(s): Ilayaraja, Mohammad Rafi, Michael Jackson
Destination(s): Chennai, Mumbai, London
Relationships & More
Marital Status: Married
Wife/Spouse: Saira Banu
Children: Daughter- Khatija, Rahima, Son- Ameen
Salary (approx.) Rs. 5-8 crore/film
Net Worth (approx.) Rs. 163 crore.
Interesting Facts :
– He had a difficult childhood as his father died when he was 9 years old, leaving him as the sole earning source of his family. Initially, he used to play his father’s keyboard to earn money.
– He aspired to be a computer engineer.
– Following the footsteps of his father, he incepted his early training in music from Master Dhanraj.
– From 1984-88, he was part of the band called Roots”. During this period, he also played keyboard for 10 – 12 Kannada films.
– Later, he became part of a rock band called “Nemesis Avenue”, where he worked as producer-arranger and also performed for a concert ‘Jive live’.
– In 1987, he started composing short songs for ad commercials, first among them was Alwyn’s new Trendy range of watches. And, in the span of 5 years, he composed around 300 of them.
– In 1989, he and his family converted to Islam from Hinduism after his sister felt magical relief out of her severe illness from the blessings of a Pir Qadri called Sheik Abdul Qadir Jeelani.
– In 1991, he met a producer, Sharada Trilok, who introduced him to her cousin, Mani Ratnam who got so much impressed with his performance, that he gave him a breakthrough in the film Roja (1992). In 2005, the same song was listed among TIME’s “10 Best Soundtracks” of all time.
– Very few people know that the first film for which he composed music was Mohanlal starrer Yodha (1992), a Malayalam film.
– By 2004, he was among the world’s all-time top-selling recording artists, as till then, he sold almost 200 million cassettes and 150 million recordings of his soundtracks.
– In 2008, he founded KM College of Music and Technology in Chennai, which was inaugurated by Mukesh Ambani.
– His Oscar Award-winning song “Jai Ho” was initially composed for the Bollywood film Yuvvraaj (2008), but it later became a part of Slumdog Millionaire (2008).
– In 2012, he had received a Christmas card and a dinner invitation from Barack Obama, the then President of the United States at the White House.
– He shares his birthday (6 January) with his son, Ameen.
– He is a global ambassador of the WHO’s “Stop TB Partnership” and also supports “Save the Child” in India.
– In 2013, a street was named in his honour in Markham, Ontario, Canada.
– Unlike other musicians, he likes composing music at night.
– Along with filmmaker Shekhar Kapoor, he has launched a social media platform called “Qyuki”, to showcase the raw talent in India.
– On 20 January 2017, he along with members of the Nadigar Sangam observed a one-day fast to support the people of Tamil Nadu protesting against the ban on Jallikattu ( a bull-taming event).
– In January 2018, he became the first-ever brand ambassador of Sikkim.